Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Letting in the Sunshine

Jon Anderson and Steve Howe look like they’re straight out of a Tolkien work. This is quite possibly one of my most favorite pieces of enchanted music:


Long distance runaround
Long time waiting to feel the sound
I still remember the dream there
I still remember the time you said goodbye
Did we really tell lies
Letting in the sunshine
Did we really count to one hundred

Cold summer listening
Hot colour melting the anger to stone
I still remember the dream there
I still remember the time you said goodbye
Did we really tell lies
Letting in the sunshine
Did we really count to one hundred

10 comments:

Mark said...

Yes!

Lips Mahoney said...

I can’t express enough how deep a chord that version strikes. Like so much of their music, for me, it is a song about memory, childhood, magic. This is dream turned to music.

Mark said...

Dreamer easy in the chair that really fits you.

It's the terrain in which words usually fail but somehow Yes music/lyrics transcended the limitations of the language.

Lips Mahoney said...

I’m with you on that.

Not to make it sound whacked-out, but this music in part really helped me develop an active imagination, meaning in this case, the art of going to another world using sound and poetry, using your own or someone elses, and much in the same way as really well-written fiction allows.

My hats off to my brother for having good taste in music and not anything god awful or idiotic, as he was so influential in my introduction to music. Listening to Yes (particularly Close to the Edge) during this period was so formative, so blissful, and something I don’t ever think can be removed from me or fade.

Lips Mahoney said...

I'm not ready to move on from this song. Don't make me do it.

Lips Mahoney said...

I'd even be willing to bet Dizyd hasn't listen to it...

Lips Mahoney said...

Just as I thought.

Anonymous said...

It's not all the acid that I did or rather didn't do. Most of it was irrelevent...

Lips Mahoney said...

I guess that depends on how you define the pronoun "it".

Lips Mahoney said...

"it"...