Monday, October 15, 2007

Poverty

One more reason why I can't take much of the hip-hop community seriously:

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/Music/10/15/people.ti.ap/index.html

Here are my favorite quotes from the article:

KRS-One, whose real name is Lawrence Parker, said the fellow rapper's legal woes should not reflect on the industry as a whole.

"I'm saddened anytime I hear of a hip-hopper being locked up or somehow stunted in his life or his growth," he told The Associated Press. "I hope he wasn't into nothing crazy."

No, not at all! Those purchases were going to end up as trophy pieces above the mantle, I'm sure. There's no tradition of glorifying violence among rappers!

Notice too the objectification of the event as something external. T.I. was "locked up" or "stunted". You'd never think from these comments that it was something that this individual did to himself or was responsible for.

Chicago rapper Common, who won the CD of the year award along with T.I., tried to lend his support at the awards show.

"I salute my guy T.I., who also won, wherever he is," said Common, while raising up his trophy.

Exactly. Props for a convicted felon who's been caught buying machine guns and silencers. The subculture of protection and denial in the black community is extraordinary.

4 comments:

Mark said...

Sounds a lot like what is going on today within Islam all over the world.

Lips Mahoney said...

What, the battle by the imperial white people to erase all the blameless brownskins?

Mark said...

Oh, yes come on now. You've had your filthy hands on the reigns of power for some time now.

Give the "other" a chance to play.

Lips Mahoney said...

"from my cold dead hands"